I'm sometimes not the quickest to realize when too much is too much.
Today I have realized that being a military wife with a toddler and a baby on the way, a fur Mommy to Dachshund and 2 cats with attitudes and a form of 'kitty ADD' is a little much. With Chuck now gone back to base, the cats are the straw breaking the camel's back, as much as I love the litte fur buckets.
We currently have 2 cats- Gibbs, the grey male short hair, and his sister that we've been calling Diva, a calico short hair. They are now 5 months old and we were waiting for my sister to take Diva with her back to her place in St.Catharines but that plan has now fallen through on her behalf due to financial reasons. Considering we knew 2 cats was too much, Diva was going to the SPCA while we were going to keep Gibbs.
Up until late last night, mere hours after I went to bed. At 3am, this morning, I turned over and my right ankle landed smack dab into a cold wet spot on my bed. Thinking it was due to my pregnancy, as I am 9 months preggo and due to pop any day, I started to freak out until I realized it was at my ankle and far away from any part of the bed that I usually sleep on. I had just shoo'd Gibbs from my room and he had been near that same spot, while my dog was on the floor, out cold and practically snoring. I put it together that it was my cat peeing on my bed and I made the quick decision that it was time to make the hard admission that I had too much going on my life while my husband was away at base.
I love cats and, don't get me wrong, I'm a responsible pet owner. I'm not getting rid of Gibbs just 'because' I don't want him, as I do. He's an amazing cat and Chuck is very fond of him now. But I can't risk Gibbs getting angry and spiteful with one of the kids and peeing in their beds or somewhere that they will come in contact. So I am making this hard decision and actually should have known when I took Gibbs on that it was going to add too much my hectic life of chasing a toddler, caring for my dog and running my daily life on my own. Adding Gibbs meant cleaning cat litter that has needed to be changed everyday, since we now have the 2 cats at the moment. The feeding wasn't the problem but that cat litter is a real pain in rear end. And then there is the expense of getting Gibbs neutered. As much as it is more affordable than a female, it's still money that can be going into something more important at the moment, such as the new baby or bills.
Maybe one day we can take on a new cat or maybe even decide to get another dog, as we are realizing that we are more a dog family than one for cats. I don't know but for the near future, Juno will be my only fur-baby.
My Growing Girl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I always love reading comments...please leave one if you can!