My Growing Girl

Monday, July 12, 2010

Been a long while!

So here I am using my new computer (a surprise gift from Chuck when he came home for 3 weeks)- I have been without internet, without delving into the long story, and I am glad I am back! I've missed being connected, even missed blogging as it is a massive help as I have been on my own for so long while Chuck trains for the military.

To sum up, Chuck is now heading into his final stage of training. Having left the last base (which was only for basic training) for the much larger one that will teach him what he needs to know as a supply technician, we have dealt with a lot since then. He dealt with the sudden realization that he is in the military and that he sometimes doesn't get to choose what happens in his life- the biggest pain being the sudden knowledge that his occupational training will start just around the same time I am due to have our second daughter, Izabella Rhiannon. It hurt both of us and we have dealt with both of our demons on that topic- at this point, we accept that it can't always go our way and that it will only get worse as he gets further into the military (such as birthdays and being deployed).

I am heading into the last 2 months of this pregnancy and am getting better at dealing with life. While I still have my bad days- such as the dog or Aby setting me off and feeling so overwhelmed by what I signed up for- the good days are starting to align themselves. We are moving out of our dinky, damp basement apartment for the spaciousness of a nearby townhouse, I feel confident that I will get better at this 'single married' life. We had to move out of that apartment as it was too small for 2 adults and soon to be 2 children. It also was just unsafe as some of the people in the area didn't seem to respect that other people lived there- as we found out when someone threw an empty cigarette lighter through our exhaust fan while Aby and I were gone to visit my parents. So out of the apartment we are and into the comfort and privacy of our new townhouse, at least until we get posted to our first base home.

My relationship with my husband has improved considerably, too, as we both work out the kinks that have been plaguing us since he initially started. It's been a long road learning to be a mother and nearly solitary caregiver to my daughter while Chuck works on his career. The number of times I felt frustration and anger with the whole situation and the question of 'why' I had even agreed to let him go- I've lost count of the times. The fights were unbearable but, looking back, so needed in order to grow and be closer like we so needed. I know that it could have gone a lot worse and I don't like going there- that reality will always be a possibility. But relationships only get better if you maintain them and work at them and will falter if you do not. I have 2 very good reasons why I don't just give up, as well the base knowledge that I do love my husband, even more so than the day I met him. I am also, at the end of every day, very proud of the decision we discussed and agreed to deal with- our children will not suffer for it and that is what I should remember as I sit through those lonely nights.

And besides, with basic over, we have seen the most difficult point said and done with, now to really settle into being the 'military wife'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading comments...please leave one if you can!